Thursday 26 March 2009

Lecture 10 - PR and Education

Our last lecture was on the topic of whether education was needed to work in PR.

My stance is a big YES.

Personal qualities may help after attaining a work position, but in order to get that position in the first place a degree in Public Relations or in a field related to Public Relations (such as Journalism, Communications etc) is needed.

Education provides you with the critical thinking skills, the theoretical and practical knowledge, the people skills and much more, needed to survive and go forward in the work place.

A degree specifically in PR is especially beneficial as it shows you have the specialized knowledge and skills needed to work in this exciting, yet competitive industry.

About to start on my dissertation, I feel these 6 months of my Masters have been the most rewarding and stimulating and will be of great benefit to me in the years to come.
I'd like to thank Pam and Michaela for their hard work with us and guidance for us. Thank you so much! :)

1 comment:

  1. I totally support the statement for Education in PR. It is good to have an experience, useful contacts and aspiration to learn in practice. Nobody denies that. However, I think it’s much easier to enter the industry with relevant education (BA, MA or at least just training courses), so you would not make some basic embarrassing and obvious mistakes or lose your clients and gain bad reputation. Naturally, you will end up learning from your own mistakes, but I think it’s much better to know basic knowledge in advance before wasting your time and figuring out where did all go wrong.

    ReplyDelete